What is the TABE?
The TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) is a state regulated assessment of basic skills.
- Is a 2 1/2-hour test
- It measures competency in reading, math, and language
- It provides us with information to customize your learning experience
- It is a requirement for Career and Technical Education Programs over 450 hours:
Several exemptions to TABE are accepted. In order to be exempt, a student must submit official documentation for verification of an exemption of one of the following:
- A student has A.A. or A.S. degree (or higher) from an accredited institution
- Demonstrate readiness for public postsecondary education pursuant to s. 1008.30, F.S. and applicable rules adopted by the State Board of Education; Revised July 29, 2016 4a.
- A student who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma or a student who is serving as an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services shall not be required to take the common placement test and shall not be required to enroll in developmental education instruction in a Florida College System institution. However, a student who is not required to take the common placement test and is not required to enroll in developmental education under this paragraph may opt to be assessed and to enroll in developmental education instruction, and the college shall provide such assessment and instruction upon the student’s request.
- Pass a state or national industry certification or licensure examination that is identified in State Board of Education rules and aligned to the CTE program in which the student is enrolled; or is enrolled in an apprenticeship program that is registered with FDOE in accordance with Chapter 446.
- Students enrolled in law enforcement training academies are exempt from the requirements. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) has designated the Florida Basic Abilities Test (FBAT) is used with these students.
- The TABE is $10
- No cell phones are allowed in the testing lab.
- No children are allowed in the testing lab.
- No parents or guardians are allowed in the testing lab.
See Each Program Flyer (Career Programs Tab) for Grade Level Requirements for TABE
For a free TABE study guide click here.
Please click on below attachments for other resources and schedule.