Thank you for your interest in becoming a Substitute Teacher with Indian River County Schools!
The following information is being provided to assist you in completing the requirements to become a substitute teacher for Indian River County Schools.
SUBSTITUTE EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
Before you consider becoming a substitute for Indian River County Schools,
it is required that you meet the following qualifications. NO Exceptions will be made:
- Minimum Educational Requirement – Passing Para-Pro Test/ Majoring in Education or equivalent
- An Associate’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 2.5 and above.
- Complete required employment paperwork
- Complete online training & testing - if required
- Pass required pre-employment screenings (Workplace Screening & Security Clearance)
Candidates must meet the following qualifications:
- Internet access
- Be physically able to perform the duties of a substitute teacher
- Adequate and reliable transportation
- Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force as needed to move objects.
- Availability to work Monday through Friday in all grade levels and subjects
Please read the employment questions below to help you determine your qualifications.
Then follow the instructions for the path that applies to you in order to complete your substitute packet.
*IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN PERMANENTLY EXCLUDED AS A SUBSTITUTE BY INDIAN RIVER COUNTY SCHOOLS, YOU MAY NOT APPLY - NO EXCEPTIONS
*If you have concerns regarding your acceptance as a SDIRC Substitute, please contact (772) 564-3048, BEFORE you begin the process.
|CHOOSE YOUR PATH TO BECOME A SDIRC SUBSTITUTE|
Long Term Substitute Teachers, 21 days or more. Must have a Professional Certificate or Temporary Certificate.
Information, steps, & forms for those who hold a current teaching certificate:
Daily Substitute Teachers, not to exceed 20 days. Must have a District Certificate, Professional Certificate, or Temporary Certificate.
Information, steps, & forms for who do not hold a current teaching certificate:
ESE Teacher Assistant. Must have passed the Para Pro test, AA/AS degree, or 60 or more college credit hours (not vocational).
Information, steps, & forms for who would like to apply for this position:
Important Information for FLORIDA RETIREES ONLY Regarding Reemployment Limitations
- View or download the comprehensive reemployment tables by visiting MyFRS.com. On the home page, click “Reemployment After Retirement,” then “Reemployment Tables.”
- Retirements include FRS Pension Plan DROP Retirement. The termination and reemployment limitation period for DROP participants begins the calendar month after your termination date.
- FRS Pension Plan Retirements with an FRS effective date on or after 07/01/2010 begin the Pension Plan termination and reemployment limitation period the month of the FRS effective retirement date.
- FRS Investment Plan Retirements with an FRS distribution date on or after 07/10/2010 begin the termination period a full 6 calendar months from the month of distribution followed by a 6 month reemployment limitation period.
All reemployed retirees have a reemployment limitation period of 6 calendar months where they will have to suspend their pension benefits – There are no reemployment exceptions.
For reemployment questions, if you are unsure, please check with the Florida Retirement System at 1-888-738-2252 Ask for: Samantha Starks-Harrison or June Moore.
1. If I have or have had a teaching certificate, do I need to complete the STEDI Subskills online training course?
No, you do NOT need to complete the STEDI Subskills online training course. However, you will need to submit a copy of your active or expired teaching certificate.
2. I have a Florida Statement of Eligibility. Do I need to complete the STEDI Subskills online training course?
- The question is, “Do you have teaching experience?” If you HAVE teaching experience, you do not need to complete the online training. If you DO NOT have teaching experience, you ARE required to complete the STEDI Subskills online training course.
3. I have a degree in education (Bachelors or higher) but I have never taught or held a teaching certificate from any state. Do I need to complete the STEDI Subskills online training course?
- If you completed coursework that included practical teaching experiences as part of your degree you do not need take the STEDI Subskills online training course.
4. I have a Florida Statement of Eligibility. Do I need to apply for a District Issued Substitute Certificate?
- Yes you do. A Statement of Eligibility is NOT a Florida State Certificate and you must apply for a District Issued Substitute Certificate.
5. I have an AA / AS degree in education but I do not have my Bachelors yet, what path do I follow?
- You would follow Path 2. You will be required to take the STEDI Subskills online training course and would not be eligible for a long-term assignment.
6. Do I need to bring in a copy of all my transcripts, such as an Associate degree?
- Yes. They must be in a sealed envelope and faxed or copied transcripts will not be accepted
7. When do I go for my Workplace screening?
- Once your three phone references are completed, you will be contacted by Human Resources. Candidates will be scheduled for processing and must complete and pay for all prescreening requirements (fingerprinting and workplace screening) as follows:
- Workplace screening and retention fee: $55.90 - check or money order only
- Fingerprinting: $54.50 – credit/debit or money order only
8. Is the Substitute Teacher position a part-time or full-time position?
- Neither. A Substitute is a temporary employee who works on an on-call basis, as-needed, with no guarantee of work days or hours.
- There are currently no benefits available for substitutes.
Applicants who are veterans and seeking initial employment by a covered employer will be given preference if they qualify under Florida Statute, Chapter 295.
*If you need any assistance during the application process, please contact:
Human Resources Hours are from 8 AM to 4:30 PM
Please be advised Human Resources has a notary available.
Due to the increased number of Substitute Applicants, all Packages take approximately 15-20 business days to process from receipt of the package in Human Resources.