The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA) requires the School District of Indian River County to notify parents and obtain consent or allow the parents to opt their child out of participating in certain school activities. These activities include a student survey, analysis or evaluation that concerns one or more of the following areas:
- Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or student's parent;
- Mental or psychological problems of the student or student's family;
- Sexual behavior or attitudes;
- Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating, or demeaning behavior;
- Critical appraisals of others with whom respondents have close family relationships;
- Legally recognized privileged relationships, such as with lawyers, doctors, or ministers;
- Religious practices, affiliations, or beliefs of the student or parents; or
- Income, other than as required by law to determine program eligibility.
This requirement also applies to the collection, disclosure, or use of student information for marketing purposes (marketing surveys), and certain physical exams and screenings.
At this time the school district has not scheduled surveys for this school year. You will be notified if your child will be asked to participate and at that time you will be provided with information about the survey.