"Reading Gives You Super Power!"
Pelican Island Elementary Media Center
Students in Pre-K-5th grade will have Media/Library class each week for a minimum of 40 minutes. The media/library curriculum focuses on the Sunshine State standards for language arts. In addition to the lesson, your child will have the opportunity to return and borrow library books each week.
Volunteers for the Media Center
We are always in need of volunteers in our media center. Some of the opportunities include:
- Special Projects/Bulletin Boards
- Help with Book Fair
If you would like additional information regarding volunteering in the media center, please contact us at 772-564-6512.
"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education
For information on Caldecott and Newberry Award-winning books, please visit the Association for Library Service to Children at:
Five Finger Test:
1. Open the book to the middle. Select a full page of text.
2. Read the page (aloud if possible).
3. Put one finger up for every word you can not pronounce or do not know.
4. If you get five (5) fingers up on one page, the book is too difficult to read independently.
5. If you do not get any fingers up, but are reading very slowly and decoding almost
every word, you will not enjoy the book.
E = Exceeding Expectations
S = Successfully Meeting Expectations
P = Progressing but Needs Support
N = Not Meeting Expectation
GRADES 3-5: Please encourage your children to read these books!