Does my student need to meet the kindergarten age requirement to participate?

Yes, your child must be 5 years old by September 1st.

How can I enroll my child in the National School Lunch Program for free and reduced price meals?

The School Meals Program, operated by the Department of Food and Nutrition Services, is an integral part of the School District . A hungry child cannot be educated and that is why our program operates each school day. The prevention of transient hunger is one of our main goals. While most popular fast-food restaurant lunches cost $5, we serve 2 million lunches a year for $3 or less, while paying for all our expenses with the money generated. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Over 6,000 students receive a healthy breakfast each day at school.

Our goal is to serve nutritious, appetizing, and affordable meals to students. We believe that good nutrition is the key to learning and every child has the right to a nutritious, well balanced meal at the lowest possible price.

Food plays a crucial role in how our students perform in their classes. Food even impacts standardized test scores. Children who eat balanced nutritious meals learn better. It's that simple. Indian River County 's School Meals Program provides a community service that helps make educating kids easier and more effective, Convenient, Economical and Healthy School Meals.

The food and nutrition program is an extension of school educational programs and is operated under the federally funded National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. Federal laws regulating the food and nutrition program are administered by the United States Department of Agriculture through the Department of Education.

The Food and Nutrition Department maintains a self-supporting program with a budget completely separate from the general fund. Funding is derived from the sale of meals and services. The Department must generate revenue to pay for food, labor, supplies, utilities, equipment, and other overhead costs needed to support the program. We receive no educational dollars to operate the program.

If you have any questions or would like additional information, please do not hesitate to contact your school's Food and Nutrition Supervisor at 564-4981 or the Pelican Island , cafeteria manager, Ms. Doty at 564-6494

How do I acquire information regarding job openings and obtain an application?

>> District Employment Opportunities 

How do I find out about the Preschool Programs?

Please contact Mrs. Kim McCorrison at (772) 564-4169. Her office is located on the campus of the Freshman Learning Center.

What are the justifiable reasons I may request a transfer from my zone or district of residence to another zone/district?


  • When special mental or physical health needs, as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel, can be met in the district of desired attendance.
  • When the student has sibling(s) attending school in the district of desired attendance.
  • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving to the receiving district within the immediate future.
  • When the parent/guardian of a student in grades K-12 is employed within the boundaries of the district of desired attendance. School assignment will be at the discretion of the receiving district and contingent upon space availability.


What day does kindergarten enrollment begin? Can I enroll them at Pelican Island Elementary?

You can enroll students for Kindergarten at Kindergarten Round Up. Round Up is the second week in April. This is the only week that you can register at the school.

If you miss round up, please go to the IRC School Board Office located at 1990 25 th Street , Vero Beach , FL 32960 (772) 564-3000.

What information do I need to enroll my kindergartner?

  • His/her original birth certificate, passport
  • His/her shot record. Your student will need all the shots required for attending school prior to registration.
  • Two proofs of residency
  • Deed to a home;
  • Escrow papers for a home;
  • Tax receipt (property taxes or personal taxes);
  • Receipt for deposit with the local utility company and/or receipt for bills paid to the local utility company, i.e., propane, SDG&E;
  • Rental agreement with property owner or agent's signature (notarized or verified under penalty of perjury)
  • Other government or business document which reliably establishes current residence, as determined by the District.

What time does school begin and end?

Monday - Friday

  • The school day begins at 8:45 am (tardy at 8:55 a.m.)
  • The school day ends at 3:20