Citrus Elementary Dress Code
Responsibility for the dress and appearance of students rests primarily with the parents. Statutorily, the school functions in loco parenti, 1003.31, F.S., and is responsible for the student while attending school. Therefore, the School Board, establishes and defines appropriate appearance and attire for the proper, orderly, and safe functioning of the school environment. Below are the dress code rules.
- No clothing with inappropriate sayings, themes, or advertisement., just approved uniforms.
- All clothing must cover the shoulders and have sleeves.
- Underclothes may not be visible or seen through clothing including sheer, net, or mesh clothing. Modesty is expected.
- Pants must be secured at the waist at all times. No underclothes visible. Pants should not present a safety hazard. (For example, pants that are too long or baggy should not be worn to school.) Leggings are not a substitute for pants.
- Clothing should cover the shoulders and waist at all times. Clothing that exposes the midriff area while standing, sitting, or reaching is not acceptable. Clothing should cover from the neck or just below the neck with no cleavage showing.
- All shorts, skorts, and skirts must extend beyond finger length.
- No cargo shorts or pants.
- Elementary students are required to wear sneakers or closed toe shoes. No boots, flip flops, slippers, or sandals should be worn to school. For safety reasons, sneakers are the best footwear choice for elementary students. No lace up sneakers that extend above the ankle.
- Hats and sunglasses are not permitted during the school day IN class. They may be worn during outdoor PE activities or recess as permitted by the principal.
- Jewelry or accessories, extended or press-on fingernails that could be determined as unsafe or injurious to self and others are not allowed. Dog-type collars, chains, and anything with spikes are not allowed.
- Haircuts/hair styles/ hair coloring, including sprays and gels, should not be disruptive to classroom procedures or every day activities. Mohawks are highly discouraged and all hair issues will be assessed by the Principal for disruption and compliance.
- Jackets/sweatshirts may be worn that DO NOT HAVE HOODIES, LOGOS, EMBLEMS, OR ADVERTISEMENTS on them. They should only be worn on days that are 50 degrees or cooler. Zip Up School Logo Sweatshirts are allowed.