The Technical Center for Career & Adult Education School provides lifelong learning opportunities and career educational programs in an atmosphere of encouragement and support.
This course teaches students how to determine accurate codes for diagnoses, procedures, and services performed by physicians and providers. Students who successfully complete the course may sit for the Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam. The exam consists of questions regarding the correct application of CPT, HCPCS, and ICD-10 codes. The billing portion teaches students the necessary skills to bill patients and insurance companies for services rendered as well as the skills needed to collect funds for your employer. Students may sit for the CPC-P national billing exam as well as the CPC. Students will work in a classroom setting as well as a lab setting that contains state-of-the-art software similar to what is in today's medical environments. Upon successful completion, students can expect to find entry-level positions in hospitals, doctors' offices, long-term care facilities and many other medical settings. Please note that our program is not a hospital coding course. It is a general coding course that allows students to work in hospitals doing outpatient coding and in other medical offices and settings.
For Gainful Employment Information, visit our Gainful Employment Disclosures tab- *All students who completed program between 7/1/2014 and 6/30/2015 are included in this calculation*
Completion Rate: 90% Placement Rate: 71% Licensure Exam Pass Rate: N/A
For employment information, visit http://www.onetonline.org/
*Data as reported to COE and is updated annually in December of each calendar year.
Placement calculation may exclude (if applicable) program completers that are awaiting exam results,
refused employment, continued post-secondary education, or may be otherwise unavailable for employment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Where do I register for the Medical Coder/Biller Program?
A: Technical Center for Career & Adult Education, 1426 19th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960.
Q: What are the prerequisites for the Medical Coder/Biller Program?
A: There are no prerequisites, however a High School Diploma or GED is required to take the Certified Professional Coder Exam.
Q: Is there any entrance testing?
A. Yes, all applicants for Career and Technical Education programs 450 hours or more are required to take a state-mandated TABE prior to enrollment.
- Possess a college degree at the associate in applied science (AAS) level or higher;
- Demonstrate readiness for public postsecondary education pursuant to s. 1008.30, F.S. and applicable rules adopted by the State Board of Education; Revised July 29, 2016 4a.
- A student who entered 9th grade in a Florida public school in the 2003-2004 school year, or any year thereafter, and earned a Florida standard high school diploma or a student who is serving as an active duty member of any branch of the United States Armed Services shall not be required to take the common placement test and shall not be required to enroll in developmental education instruction in a Florida College System institution. However, a student who is not required to take the common placement test and is not required to enroll in developmental education under this paragraph may opt to be assessed and to enroll in developmental education instruction, and the college shall provide such assessment and instruction upon the student’s request.
- Pass a state or national industry certification or licensure examination that is identified in State Board of Education rules and aligned to the CTE program in which the student is enrolled; or is enrolled in an apprenticeship program that is registered with FDOE in accordance with Chapter 446.
- Students enrolled in law enforcement training academies are exempt from the requirements. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) has designated the Florida Basic Abilities Test (FBAT) is used with these students.
Q: Is Financial Aid available?
A: Yes, contact Technical Center for Career & Adult Education at 772-564-4970 for more information.
Q: Is a payment plan available?
A: A payment plan is available for information contact 772-564-4970.
Step By Step Medical Coding Edition (Bundle) ISBN10: 0323525938
Medical Terminology: A Short Course, 7e ISBN10: 1455758302