We appreciate your interest in becoming a Substitute Teacher for the School District of Indian River County. Preference will be given to applicants who hold current Florida Educator certification and who meet federal Highly Qualified Teacher Status in accordance with No Child Left Behind legislation. Preference will also be given to former teachers and student teachers working towards an education degree. The District reserves the right to hire fully certified substitutes at any time.
Requirements for Becoming a Substitute Teacher
- Applicants must be able to follow oral and written directions and have the ability to establish effective working relationships with staff and students.
- Applicants must possess the ability to maintain effective classroom management strategies.
- Applicants must possess good moral character.
- Applicants must complete the Certified Application Process. Completing the application process does not guarantee employment as a substitute teacher.
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope must be submitted; unofficial transcripts are not acceptable. Applicant must have obtained an Associate’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 2.5 and above.
- Three "written" references within the last year from an employer or former employer must be submitted. Two of the references must be professional and the other may be a personal reference. References must be on business letterhead or on the District's Employment Reference Form.
- Complete the Preliminary Substitute Questionnaire and return to Human Resources Department.
- An application file is complete when all required documents (official transcripts, written references, certificates, substitute questionnaire) have been received by the Human Resources Department.
- Complete substitite application files will be screened periodically. Approved applicants will be notified and added to the substitute interview pool for further consideration. Applicants who are not approved will be notified.
- Approved candidates with current Florida Educator certification will be scheduled for an interview as time permits. Long-term substitute positions (more than 20 consecutive days in same position) REQUIRE current in-field Florida certification and federal Highly Qualified Teacher status.
Procedures for Hire
- Approved candidates without current Florida Educator Certification have additional requirements before being scheduled for an interview as follows :
If candidate is approved for hire after the interview, candidate will be scheduled for processing and must complete and pay for all prescreening requirements (fingerprinting and workplace screening) as follows:
- successfully complete (85% score) the STEDI SubSkills Online Training course . (Click on course title above for more information and to register for the course.)
- send or fax a copy of the STEDI diploma when course has been successfully completed to Nicholas.Ackron@indianriverschools.org in Human Resources (FAX: 772-564-3049).
- Applicants completing the STEDI course will be interviewed as new substitute are needed.
If approved for substituting, new hire must complete mandatory training and learn to use Aesop, the automated substitute placement system. The new substitute will be scheduled for the training prior to School Board approval.
Substitutes are hired in an "at will" capacity and will be paid for services rendered on a day-to-day basis as needed.
Former substitutes who resign must wait one year from the date of separation to reapply for substitute approval with the District.
- Workplace screening: $31.90
- Fingerprinting: $58.50
- Fingerprint retention fee: $24.00
- District Substitute certificate: $56.00 (if no current Florida Educator certificate)